With the weather changing and the nights drawing in, cottage pie is the ideal meal. And made ahead this is perfect for when the kids come home soggy, hungry and tired from school!
Made with simple ingredients, I think the mash took more effort than the filling!
For the filling:
- Frozen mixed veg (sweetcorn, peas, green beans and carrots)
- 1/2 bag of red lentils
- Carton of passata
- Water (fill the passata carton)
- 2 vegetable oxo cubes
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
For the mash:
- 2 large white potatoes
- 1 large sweet potato
- Tin of butter beans
- Vegan butter and milk to preference
- Seasoning to preference
- Add all of the filling ingredients to a pan and cook until the lentils are soft.
- Meanwhile, peel or scrub the potatoes and chop into roughly equal sized pieces, and add to a pan of boiling water, simmer until cooked – approx 20 mins
- Drain, rinse and blend the butter beans to puree
- Once the potatoes are cooked, drain and add the bean purée with any butter, milk and any seasoning (I added salt and pepper and a pinch of ground garlic)
- Transfer the cooked filling mixture over into a casserole dish, top with the mash and smooth down with the back of a spoon
- Bake in the oven for 40 mins on a medium heat